Friday 22 June 2018

HELP ME CHOOSE MY NEXT SPECS



Being someone who wears glasses all the time making a choice as to which ones to buy is a really big decision and also quite hard to do when you can't see them properly on your face in the shop.  I am short sighted and have worn glasses since my teens, with a brief foray into contact lenses in my 20s. 

I have now reached the unenviable stage of needing varifocals as well so the frame decision is not the biggest part of the cost equation.  The lenses often cost three times the price of the frames, but at least I adjusted to wearing varifocals really quickly, which I know is something lots of people struggle with.

So, after this preamble, lets start with  journey through my frame history and then finish with a couple of new frames where I am looking to decide which ones to have glazed to prescription.

CURRENT FRAMES 


These Miu Miu frames are the ones I have been wearing for the last 18 months or so and I still really love them.  Although a heavy frame the open edge at the bottom really lightens them on the face. They are a great depth for varifocals and I am always being complimented on them.


They are the VMU04N style and are still available to buy here, also in different colours so that is something I could think about.  Same frame, different colour - not very brave but will look quite different I think.

FRAMES I HAVE WORN AND LOVED


Next up are some Versace frames that are much lighter on the face as a supra and rimless on three sides -not so much of a statement piece but very easy to wear as the cream detailing make them match any outfit.




The model is the white/gold 1188 frame which is now very hard to find other than on some American optical sites such as this one as it is a discontinued line.


I was obviously having a very strong leaning towards Versace as this next pair, which takes us back at least four years, is also from the brand.  A stronger frame as solid plastic frame with a bold tortoiseshell pattern.  Slightly shallower than the ones I have been wearing recently but still a square/rectangular shape as opposed to round or oval, which I think suits me most.


These are the 3154 model and are available on Smart Buy Glasses in the black.  They are a very classic design so maybe it is no surprise that they can still be purchased and in the black quite a unisex design.





NEW FRAMES

And now for decision time as I have two new frames that I am looking at to have glazed to prescription with varifocal lenses.

First up are these striking Kaleo frames which I purchased from Matches fashion.  They are the Lennox frame and come in full rim tortoiseshell acetate with accent gold metal work.



Their cat eye shaping is quite different for me with their slight point and raised top rim but I am very tempted to go for a stand out piece for a change.  If I don't glaze for optical wear I can go for sunglasses and a single vision distance lens, so all is not lost on the purchase.  It still feels like a brave decision so one that I am not 100% on.



The other much safer bet are these Michael Kors frames that I bought while in Brussels earlier in the year.  They are a grey acetate full rim frame with a softer grey sweeping to the base of the frame to relieve the heaviness.  Definitely go with the hair!


They are the MK8021 frame,  sadly a discontinued line that I purchased in the sale and I can only see on American sites.



I would love to know what you all think and which frames you prefer.  Even if I should just stick with the current frames and have them re-glazed.  The ultimate cop out I know.




SHARE:

2 comments

  1. It may be too late to add my opinion if you've already chosen, but I like your current frames and the Kaleos frames best. However, I question if the Kaleos in a cooler shade would better compliment your colouring and hair. I note it comes in straight black, red, jade green and cream, all of which would look nice, I think. I don't dislike the tortoiseshell, though! Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your opinion - I had lots of views on which frames suited me best - and in fact I have not chosen any of these! I am going with a new paid which you can see on one of our latest Instagram posts.

    ReplyDelete

© Sensational Baby Boomers

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig