Friday 4 May 2018

EXPERIMENTING WITH COLOUR


After 40 years of friendship, the other Anne's love affair with colour is finally rubbing off on me, and with her help I have been experimenting with colour.  

More than 25 years ago I had a colour analysis done so I immediately went rummaging around in a drawer to see if I could find the little file that I was given as it seemed an interesting place to start my journey with colour.


I am basically  supposed to go with a SUMMER palette which would include soft colours, nothing with sharp contrast,  and favouring soft hues of blue, rose and off white.  I should avoid yellow and anything with a yellow hue and go for beiges and browns with a rose undertone.  As I am fair, I should wear soft colours close to the face but can mix with the brighter spectrum.  Which is all a gross over-simplification but hopefully you get the drift.  

SOFT NEUTRALS 
This is supposed to include soft white, rose toned beiges and browns, greyed navy and blue greys.  


First up is a light blue jumper from Hoopers in Harrogate. The photo is not helped by the lighting in the fitting room which does cast a green light over everything, but I think it does work although it doesn't over excite me.



I really love this pale pink top from COS and think this is a flattering colour for me.  So much so I have a new jacket in pink that my daughter bought me and I am really looking forward to wearing that in the coming weeks. 


Soft greys/silver also work and is a colour I have a fair amount of in my closet - as my daughter always says it matches my hair!

BASIC COLOURS

Apparently I should incorporate burgundy, raspberry, grey-blue, deep blue green, blue red and water melon.... please don't ask me what water melon looks like as a colour, I have no idea. 


Of  all the clothes  we tried on this was probably the closest to a colour on the palette, and I do think it works as it sits within the raspberry/mauve tone.


This bright purple top doesn't quite have the right amount of blue in the hue and so it is too vibrant for my skin tone (Actually I like this one on you Anne ! (Comment from Anne C).


I actually really loved this bright pink top and it felt fabulous for a summer wardrobe, but it would be considered a no no as is too strong and lacks a blue undertone.  I might ignore that though.

This turquoise is also too strong and lacks the sea-green tone which is better for me.


COLOURS TO AVOID 

Step away from reds with a yellow undertone, oranges and yellows other than a soft lemon would appear to be the rule.  I must say having looked at the next set of colours on me I think that is probably correct as they really do overwhelm my colouring.


I think the fact that I have fairly strong make up on does help this look but I am not sure I would go for such a powerful orange again.


I was pleasantly surprised by the yellow,  maybe as it is a buttery yellow it has been helped, but again I am not sure it is something I would choose to buy. I would definitely avoid any acid yellows and have previously tried the lemon tone but really didn't like it.


I know this is not a true orange as we tried to soften by choosing one with some pink in, but again I really am not keen.  The make up is not as strong and the lighting does drain the colour but I do think it makes me look very insipid.


I didn't think this top looked that bad in the shop but it really does not flatter in this shot.  By the colour rules I should have a brown with a more blue undertone rather than this which tends towards yellow.  There is only really one brown on the colour wheel so maybe something I should just avoid at all costs.

I would love to know what you guys think and if you favour one colour over any other.  We need to continue our investigation and try to find the specific greens and blues that the analysis recommends. It is all well and good saying you can wear these colours but it is really not that easy to find them.




SHARE:

3 comments

© Sensational Baby Boomers

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig