Friday 17 March 2017

A WET WEEKEND IN PARIS


Anne H here, picking up after a trip to Paris with my daughter Lizzy who was there for Paris Fashion Week.  We had a the most amazing time, not least because we stayed with our friends who have a fabulous apartment near the Hotel de Ville, so we couldn't have been more central.  Sadly the weather was not very kind and we had some really grey and rainy days which wasn't ideal for blogging, even in Paris.


Since I did a bit of a Paris travel guide this time last year (link here) I have decided to focus more on restaurant recommendations, which I hope you will find useful should you find yourself in the city of lights.  Of course, I couldn't completely ignore shopping so I have included a recommendation for a rather lovely concept store as well.  



Naturally I will share a bit on the outfits I wore whilst there but I must confess it is a bit of a uniform for me as I tend to wear the things that I am most comfortable in and which will let me pound the streets in comfort.  That includes this camel coat that I purchased from Byondonline and is the Harmony Magda coat that they still have in the sale.  I have teamed with boots from KG, jeans from Acne and a jumper from Cos.  The handbag I borrowed from my daughter and is the Karen Millen Suede Regent chain  bag.


I'm also sharing my favourite outfit that Lizzy wore, which also happens to include a rather fab shot of the Eiffel Tower so a good scene setter.  I particularly loved this vintage Hermes jacket that she got from Vestiaire Collective, a site that is well worth visiting if you are looking for designer items that have been carefully curated and validated.  She tells more about it on her blog Shot from the Street which you can reach via this link. 


CAFE-RESTAURANT LOUIS PHILIPPE, 66 Quai de l'Hôtel de ville, 75004


We had the most amazing evening meal in this pretty little restaurant which is frequented by locals - always a good sign I think.  I had a great  Boeuf Bourguignon that just tasted like it had been slowly cooking for ages - delicious.  Lizzy had a fantastic steak which was perfectly cooked and really tender and we finished with a shared assiette of cheese. A friendly atmosphere where the food is home cooked and reasonably priced, I would definitely visit Cafe Louis Philippe again. 




DERRIERE, 69 Rue des Gravilliers, 75003


Now restaurant Derriere is a bloggers dream with loads of photo opportunities, not least of which is the table tennis table in the middle of the dining room. The idea is that it is fashioned to be a home away from home and the rooms are designed as if you are in someone's apartment.  All very clever and beautifully created.  You definitely need to reserve a table in advance to come here as it is very popular and we managed to get a table for a late Saturday lunch.  The restaurant is located in the Marais district and is tucked away with a beautiful courtyard which must be lovely on a brighter day.


We were given a table on the first floor and part of our party sat on a bed to eat, with this fabulous mirrored ceiling above them.  Really original. Sadly the food didn't quite live up to the hype.  It was fine but very plain and it felt as if so much attention had been given to the surroundings that they lost sight of the importance of the food.  It is not somewhere I would rush to go back to but definitely think it is worth seeing.  



CAFE ST REGIS, 6 Rue Jean du Bellay, 75004 



We escaped from the rain for breakfast in this lovely restaurant the St. Regis, which is on the Ille St Louis so not far from where we were staying.  We didn't go for the whole cooked breakfast, but we could see from those around us that it was fabulous.  Just the pain au chocolate and coffee were enough to set this place in our hearts.  Just look at the size of this pastry! The staff were lovely and friendly and this is 100% on my list of places to re-visit.



MARLON, 159 Rue de Grenelle, 75007

I have no excuse for having no pictures of this restaurant, I couldn't even steal any from Lizzy as she didn't have any either.  Located near the Eiffel Tower this Californian restaurant is great for brunch so was one I couldn't miss off my list.

MERCI,  111 Boulevard Beaumarchais, 75003 

A true concept store located in the centre of one of my favourite areas - Le Marais,  Merci is a cafe, restaurant, bookstore, clothing store, furniture and so much more all rolled into one. Flowers predominate and the centre piece of the store are its cherry blossom trees - so pretty, and the whole layout of the store is a treat.


 

Merci is not just an incredible store but a charitable foundation too, as its owners use proceeds from sales to fund an endowment paying for development and education in Madagascar.   Even the building has a story to tell with a full size chimney in its centre - it has variously been a wallpaper factory and was the centre for local jewellers to melt waste metals.  Definitely worth a visit but beware you could end up spending a fortune.




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Sensational Baby Boomers

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig