Friday 20 January 2017

NEW YEAR, NEW ME!

Hello - Anne C here at the start of a brand new year - and definitely a new start for me in 2017!

This year I will be celebrating (?*?!) 46 years in the workplace - having begun my working life as a cub reporter on a local newspaper, moving into PR for a major blue chip company, then after taking redundancy, working as a freelance and taking temporary contracts.

At the end of 2016 for various reasons, I decided - at the age of 63 - that I wanted more out of life than just working in a corporate environment.  While I have certainly enjoyed much of the work I have done, I felt I had to do something less stressful, more fun, and most importantly, at my own pace, with more control over my lifestyle.

My dream as an 18 year old was to work in fashion journalism, but that never happened, and in hindsight was probably not a good idea for me then.  However, now I can be a little more creative and experimental, rather than conform to a certain way of dressing in suits!

Of course I still want to look smart but my plan is to have a little fun with fashion - and maybe I will make some mistakes along the way, but it's going to be fun trying out new styles.

Below are some of my first forays into a different way of dressing - and I'm not yet convinced I have got it right, but I'm going to enjoying trying out new looks.


This is my newest purchase from one of my favourite mail order catalogues, Kaleidoscope. Called a "coatigan" it is obviously a cross between a cardigan and a coat, and has been reduced in the sale. (New customers can also get an additional discount).  It is light but warm and comfortable to wear - slipping easily over a bulky bat-wing sleeves sweater, and in a camel colour with wine and black stripes, goes with virtually anything.

I have teamed it with stretchy stone chinos from M&S which I have had for ages, and a very thick poncho style cream sweater - which I will photograph at some point in the future.  The boots black suede with a rubber sole and heel are from last season but similar ones are available here.


The next outfit is a little more off the wall.  I work at the Knitting and Stitching show every year in Harrogate helping a friend with her business, and I have discovered a lovely stall called Emphasize selling unusual clothes.  I believe the owner has an actual shop in Essex, though he travels to shows throughout the country. Although originally it was for curvy ladies, he now has a range of clothes for all sizes - most of which are sourced from Italy, and I have been buying from him for a number of years. Unfortunately he doesn't have a website as he has only a few sizes in each item.

I am quite short (5'2") so not sure this looks right - but it is a two piece dress and top with a "balloon" hem.  The dress is full length but the oversize top is separate and can be worn over skinny jeans - and it hides a multitude of sins!





I love the funky outfit below - another full length dress, this time in red also with a balloon hemline, but worn with an unusual woolly tunic (affectionally called my Yeti outfit) which is short at the front and very long at the back.  This is also from Emphasize, and can be worn as separates with contrasting colours.







Finally, the red two-piece tunic set is from my good friend Liz at Simply Devine in Tadcaster (although primarily a hat and accessories store, she does have a few items of clothing) and features a long sleeved tunic with a sleeveless jacket over the top.  Maybe it would look better unzipped, but is really comfortable to wear over leggings, or with thick tights and knee-length boots.  I have teamed this time with slouchy ankle boots from Pavers from 2015 but similar ones still available here.






I will continue to do some freelance work and hopefully since we now have more than 1000 Instagram followers, both Anne and I will be able to spend more time on our style and travel blog, experimenting with our "look" and writing about the great places we visit!
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

© Sensational Baby Boomers

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig